Carbon monoxide is one of the most dangerous gases that can be found in homes in the world. Not only is it deadly, but it is also highly dangerous in that its presence can go undetected until it’s too late. 

This gas has already caused grave harm and even death on many occasions. The worst part is that they can all be entirely preventable through simple detection methods. 

It’s unfortunate that too many homeowners don’t conduct or are not even aware of the importance of carbon monoxide testing. The process itself is simple enough, but a lot of people don’t bother with it, citing the practice as unnecessary.

This could not be further from the truth.

The prevalence of homeowners overlooking this crucial aspect of running a household is a huge risk. As such, it would be worth it to discuss what carbon monoxide testing is and why you need it.

What is Carbon Monoxide Testing?

Carbon monoxide testing is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a process that detects any carbon monoxide leak that is occurring within the home. This will not only reveal if there is the presence of the gas but it will also show precisely where the leak is occurring.

It’s worth noting that detecting a carbon monoxide leak can often fall under two categories. The first is detecting that a leak is occurring, in the first place. This can be done either via carbon monoxide detectors or simply by noticing the signs that it is happening.


With that said, simply noticing that there is a leak doesn’t fix the problem. In fact, without the right equipment or information, trying to detect where the leak is coming from yourself can be quite dangerous.

Top Reasons for Carbon Monoxide Testing

Safety is the primary concern with regard to carbon monoxide testing. It’s a simple fact that this gas presents a considerable health hazard to those exposed to it. It’s colourless, odourless, and tasteless, which makes detecting it quite difficult. 

More importantly, however, the gas can be lethal with enough exposure.

Carbon monoxide testing can help ensure that you will not be risking your health and that of your loved ones while living in your home. Engaging a professional service would be even better for the following reasons:

  • Better equipment – Professional carbon monoxide testing services will inevitably have the necessary tools to detect the gas and where it is leaking from. 
  • Necessary training, expertise, and experience – Using the services of professional carbon monoxide testers will mean getting the benefit of qualified experts. Just in case, however, it’s best to inquire about a service provider’s qualifications before choosing them.
  • Efficiency and safety – If the service provider of the carbon monoxide test is composed of professionals, they can act with more efficiency. This means identifying if there is a leak quicker, where it is coming from, and how to handle it without wasting time.
  • Quick resolution – Using the services of professional carbon monoxide testing companies often results in resolving the problem quickly. 
  • Savings – Rather than trying to solve the problem yourself, which could lead to more time, money, and energy spent in the unsuccessful attempt, just let the professionals handle it. You’ll save more money thanks to their reasonable fees, assuming that you find an affordable service provider. 
  • Reliable results – Professionals can get the job done and done well. Leaks can be fixed without risking another one soon after. If something needs replacing or repairing, it’s done with durability in mind.

As you can see, there are a lot of reasons why you might want to conduct carbon monoxide testing for your home. Aside from your safety, doing so through professionals can help you save money, get the job done quickly, and get permanent results.

Risks of Not Doing Carbon Monoxide Testing

If carbon monoxide testing isn’t done, there are quite a few risks that you will be taking. To start with, you might not notice that you are already inhaling a toxic amount of the gas. This is one of the biggest threats that carbon monoxide poses. In many cases, victims were already too far gone by the time the leak was even noticed.

There is also the fact that carbon monoxide is highly flammable. If there is a leak in your home, one spark could create a blazing flame. This could then cause a lot of property damage and would pose an even greater risk to you and anyone else living with you.


Even minimal exposure to carbon monoxide can result in catastrophic health problems. If one or more of the residents in your home is already suffering from respiratory issues, the gas will only make it worse.

Aside from the actual respiratory effects such as difficulty breathing, leaks could also cause anxiety attacks, severe migraines, fainting spells, and even seizures. Without doing carbon monoxide testing, you might never know that you are already inhaling a lot of the gas. It’s better to be safe than sorry.


Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious affair and leaks must be considered with equal gravity. Even the hint of a leak must be treated with care and see if it is actually happening. This is typically what a carbon monoxide detector is for. If you don’t have one, there are typically methods available to determine if the gas is present. 

A professional carbon monoxide testing service will ensure that not only will the leak be detected, but its origins will also be found. The job can be done quickly and any repairs or replacements done will last a long time. It’s important to make sure, however, that the service provider you choose is actually qualified.

Service It makes it a point to check on carbon monoxide levels whenever we do servicing for heating units.

Would you like to receive email alerts for when your unit would need its next regular service?

Enter your email below