Melbourne’s Leading Carbon Monoxide Tester and Service Provider
Carbon monoxide is one of the most harmful types of gasses that is produced by the incomplete burning of gas, wood and LP petrol and can be released by malfunctioning gas appliances. It is a colourless, odourless gas that may cause death without warning.
Falling asleep while there is a carbon monoxide leak is a dangerous proposition. One that can be avoided with the right detection tools and tests.
This life-threatening possibility is made worse by the fact that the gas is produced by a multitude of sources. These include:
Anything in your household or commercial property that uses those as fuel could be a potential source of a carbon monoxide leak.
It is highly recommended to call experts like Service It to avoid these worst-case scenarios.
Our team of professionals will be able to detect any leak of this deadly type of gas in your home and address the problem right away. We can also provide you with the necessary information to check and be aware of carbon monoxide leaks in the future.
Why Carbon Monoxide Leaks Are Dangerous
The biggest danger posed by carbon monoxide leaks is the difficult-to-detect nature of the gas. It can cause harm without anyone knowing until it is too late.
Among the most susceptible to the effects of the gas are the:
- Elderly people
- Infants and toddlers
- People with conditions like asthma and congenital heart diseases
- Pregnant women
- People taking medication
This is why you need to be vigilant when checking for leaks. If you want to make absolutely sure that you are safe, however, you need to turn to the experts.
We at Service It have licensed professionals who will be able to cater to your needs.
Carbon Monoxide Leak Warning Signs
It’s important that you keep an eye out for any signs and symptoms of potential carbon monoxide poisoning. Fortunately, many of the symptoms can be caught early, which would allow you to act quickly.
Among the most telling of these include:
- Headaches or migraines
- Vomiting and/or nausea
- Heart palpitations
- Tightening of the chest
- Loss of consciousness
If you start experiencing any of these symptoms, evacuate the premises along with anyone who is with you, turning off all appliances and electrical devices along the way.
Once you are outside, you can take a moment to assess the damage. If you start vomiting and become dizzy, though, call for medical help immediately.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Leaks
Knowing the signs of a carbon monoxide leak is good but preventing it from happening altogether is even better. You can do this by keeping a few things in mind when installing appliances, as well as heating or cooling systems.
Your best bet is to do the following:
- Make sure that any heater you have is installed in a well-ventilated area.
- Keep your chimney and any vents you have free of blockages.
- Check the colour of the flame in gas appliances if it’s yellow or orange. This is a sign that it isn’t getting enough oxygen. After doing so, shut it down and have it checked.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector. These should be used as a backup feature and are not to be solely relied on.
Through these simple steps, you can make sure that you and your loved ones will never have to deal with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Why a Professional Carbon Monoxide Tester Is Necessary
Having your home tested for any carbon monoxide leak is a matter of safety, for you and your family. It’s about getting rid of any potential threat and should be taken seriously.
This is doubly true for homes that use heating systems that use natural gas, wood, or coal.
Because of the nebulous nature of the gas, it always pays to play safe. Having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is highly advised. A regular test once a year would help keep you safer.
This is due to the fact that licensed professionals like those we have at Service It have special equipment for detecting carbon monoxide leaks. This allows them to make absolutely sure that your home is safe.
How to check for a
Carbon Monoxide Leak
CO is impossible to detect without special equipment because it has neither odour nor colour. But there are a few tell-tale signs that indicate that your gas ducted heating is not getting enough oxygen, leading to it releasing carbon monoxide:
- The pilot light (lit by gas) often goes out, indicating that your heater isn’t getting enough oxygen. This may also be the reason your heater seems to switch off suddenly.
- The flame in the burner turns a weird colour and/or emits soot. A fully oxidising flame is blue. If it is yellow or green, you have a problem.
- If gas is leaking, it will in turn attract humidity. You will notice the signs as abnormal water condensation on hard surfaces or windows.
- Soot is building up around the furnace and on the ceiling and walls of your heater room.
- This is again a sign of poor burning.
- There is debris in the flue pipe, or it is damaged. These indicate blockage of air, causing improper burning.
- Someone in the house suddenly shows symptoms of CO-poisoning (see below). This is a red alert.
A gas heater is likely to emit CO if
- It hasn’t been serviced in a long time.
- Faulty parts haven’t been repaired or replaced
- Has become very old and inefficient.
We strongly recommend that you have someone from Service It Australia check your home or office’s heating system regularly. Energy Safe Victoria requires all homes in the state to have their Gas Heaters serviced & tested once every 2 years, if not more.
Watch Out For
Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are:
- A sudden feeling of tiredness and shortness of breath, coming from reduced oxygen supply to tissues. Prolonged exposure can lead to weakness and sleepiness.
- Mild or severe headaches
- Nausea and vomiting
If someone is showing these symptoms, rush them outside the house and let them have fresh air. If the symptoms are severe, call for an ambulance. Meanwhile, open all windows and doors, and call emergency services.
Preventing CO Poisoning
- Make sure the room in which your heater is installed is well-aired.
- Make sure that all chimneys and flues remain free of blockages.
- Check the colour of the flame in gas appliances. If it is yellow or orange, it isn’t getting enough oxygen. Shut it down and call for a carbon monoxide test.
FOR THE BEST CARBON MONOXIDE TESTING SERVICES, CONTACT SERVICE IT AND WE’LL FULFILL YOUR NEEDS
WHY IS SERVICE IT THE BEST CHOICE FOR YOU?
Service It is fully equipped and capable of testing properties in Melbourne for carbon monoxide leaks. We can test space heaters, wall furnaces, ducted central heaters, gas water heaters, stovetops, ovens, and decorative log fires.
We have experienced personnel who are also licensed and qualified to conduct tests. We comply with both Federal and State laws, as well.
Once you contact us, we can provide you with a printed report of the CO test, a fully itemised invoice, and information regarding additional steps you can take to keep you safe. We can also provide you with a fully transparent list of replacements or repairs, with all of the relevant details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is carbon monoxide flammable?
Yes, carbon monoxide is an extremely flammable gas, which is another reason why a leak is so dangerous.
Can I check for a carbon monoxide leak myself?
The carbon monoxide gas itself is impossible to detect without the right equipment. However, there are telltale signs such as stove flames burning colours other than blue. Pilot lights could be going out. Abnormal condensation can be taken as another sign, as well.
How is severe carbon monoxide poisoning treated?
If you get carbon monoxide poisoning and it becomes bad enough, doctors have two treatment options available. The first is basic oxygen treatment where you breathe in pure oxygen from a tank. The other is being placed in an oxygen chamber, which is also pressurized for faster oxygen saturation.
When is a gas heater likely to leak carbon monoxide?
Gas heaters are most likely to start leaking when they haven’t been cleaned and maintained for a long time. Blockages could start occurring due to the buildup of soot. The heater itself could also be quite old.
What is the first aid treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning?
When you or someone you know has contracted carbon monoxide poisoning, the best thing you can do is get away from the affected area. From there, you can call emergency services